CinemaCon 2018 is in full swing, which means Hollywood’s biggest studios are announcing their next slate of movies. Previously, Sony stole the headlines with their head-turning Venom trailer, but Wednesday night belonged to Paramount Pictures. Newly hired Studio chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos took the stage to announce that one of their surprising hits of 2018 would be getting a deserved sequel, the almost-silent film A Quiet Place.
A Quiet Place was the first movie produced in the Gianopulos era and it came at a much-needed time. After more than a year of box office duds, A Quiet Place was Paramount‘s first real success. After costing only $17 million to make, the film garnered over $200 million worldwide, of which $134 million of that was in North America. The film has also spent 2 out of 3 weeks at #1, surrendering the spot to Dwayne Johnson‘s Rampage for its opening week only to take it back in the following week. It’s a fiscal success the likes of which Paramount and Gianopulos needed.
“If you told me five years ago that an almost silent film starring the very funny guy Jim from The Office would have been a hit at Paramount, I would have said, ‘Well, I should go work at Paramount,'” Gianopulos told the crowd at CinemaCon 2018.
It stands to reason that many would wonder if A Quiet Place (1) writers Bryan Woods and Scott Beck had anything left in the tank for a sequel. Fortunately, when asked, they replied that they had plenty of material left over. It’s likely that director and star John Krasinski will return to helm the sequel, though, it may not be for some time as he’s currently attached to another Paramount picture, Life on Mars.
There is no set timetable for A Quiet Place 2. A Quiet Place 1 is in theaters now starring John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe, and Cade Woodward.