The Desolation of Smaug managed to pull in about $73 million this weekend. While that’s short of it’s predecessor, especially being an anticipated sequel, that’s definitely not chump change. Some are understandably concerned, however, as it’s very rare in a blockbuster franchise for a sequel to open under the original. Then again, this year the film had more competition than last year (Journey opened almost unopposed). Either way, it still made a lot of money and I’m sure fans will continue to flock to it.
Title Weekend Total
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug $73,675,000 $73.7
2. Frozen $22,184,000 $164.3
3. Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas $16,000,000 $16
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire $13,150,000 $356.9
5. Thor: The Dark World $2,700,000 $198.1
6. Out of the Furnace $2,320,000 $9.4
7. Delivery Man $1,872,000 $27.9
8. Philomena $1,756,000 $11
9. The Book Thief $1,675,000 $14.8
10. Homefront $1,637,000 $18.4
Which film got your money this past weekend? Be sure to share your thoughts on the films you saw in our brand new user review system!