Turtle Beach has announced that they have added new products to their ever-growing, ever-evolving catalog of gaming tech. They are officially entering the video game controller market with two controllers, the Recon Controller (pictured) and the VelocityOne Flight Simulator Control System. Turtle Beach sat down with us to preview the two new controllers.
Gaming headsets, mice, keyboards, microphones, and even apparel. For what seems like forever, Turtle Beach has been innovating and adding top-of-the-line gaming tech to their inventory in an effort to level up the gaming experience of their consumers. Now, they plan on expanding once again. This time, into the video game controller market.
Remarkably, Turtle Beach is diving head first into this market with not one but two controllers. Today, Turtle Beach has announced the Recon Controller and the VelocityOne Flight Control System.
Ahead of this announcement, I was fortunate enough to sit down with Turtle Beach Sr. Director, Public Relations & Sr. Director, Communications & Brand Communications MacLean Marshall to preview both controllers. Below are the specs and information gathered from the preview.
Turtle Beach Recon Controller
The Turtle Beach Recon Controller is a sleek, new wired controller for the Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 PCs. As you can see from the picture, it looks similar to that of an Xbox controller, but it includes loads of features and upgrades.
First and foremost is the top panel of the controller, which acts as your main audio hub for your headset. Once you plug in your 3.5mm headset, that top panel will grant your headset access to trademark Turtle Beach technology like Superhuman Hearing, Mic Monitoring, EQ Presets like Signature Sound (Default), Bass Boost, Bass & Treble Boost, and Vocal Boost.
Previously, the only way you could access this type of sound was with the Turtle Beach App on your phone or by pressing a button on the headset, if available. My understanding from the preview I had with Marshall, the app would no longer be necessary so long as you were using the Recon Controller. Thus, streamlining the audio customization process.
The top panel also includes a new Turtle Beach innovation, Pro-Aim Focus Mode. Pro-Aim tunes thumbstick sensitivity for enhanced long-range accuracy, and can save up to four selectable profiles on each of the two rear quick-action buttons.
The Recon Controller also features next-gen vibration feedback. Whenever you fire a gun or get hit in an enemy encounter, players will feel it with the Recon Controller’s dual rumble motors in both the handles and triggers.
This Summer, the Recon Controller will be releasing for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 PCs for $59.95. I asked if there were any plans on releasing a Recon Controller on PlayStation products any time soon. I was informed that Turtle Beach remains open to bringing their new controller hardware to other devices at some point in the future.
See the full list of features for the Recon Controller below:
- TURTLE BEACH AUDIO ADVANTAGE – Easy access audio controls only available from Turtle Beach including EQ presets, game & chat volume mix, mic monitoring and more.
- SUPERHUMAN HEARING® – From quiet footsteps sneaking up from behind to enemy weapon reloads, Turtle Beach’s exclusive Superhuman Hearing ® sound setting lets you hear every detail for the ultimate gaming audio advantage.
- ERGONOMIC COOLING GRIPS – Micro-cooling channels and a comfortable shape keep your hands cool and dry while reducing fatigue over long gaming sessions.
- PRO-AIM™ FOCUS MODE – One of two mappable buttons, Pro-Aim™ tunes thumbstick sensitivity for enhanced long-range accuracy. Whether it’s a long-range snipe or a daunting free kick, choose between four levels of sensitivity to dial-in Pro-Aim™ just right.
- TWO MAPPABLE QUICK-ACTION BUTTONS – Customize your gaming experience with two mappable buttons, allowing up to four different switchable profiles.
- FOUR TURTLE BEACH SIGNATURE SOUND PRESETS – Customize your game audio with four EQ presets: Signature Sound (Default), Bass Boost, Bass & Treble Boost, and Vocal Boost.
- VIBRATION FEEDBACK – Dual rumble motors in the handles and triggers enhance immersion for ultra-realistic next-gen gameplay.
- 3.5MM HEADSET CONNECTION – Take advantage of proven Turtle Beach audio enhancements by plugging in any wired headset with a standard 3.5mm connection.
- VARIABLE MIC MONITORING – Hear your own voice in your headset and adjust the volume to avoid shouting at other players for clear communications.
- RESPONSIVE CONTROLS – Play in confidence with textured triggers and bumpers, an accurate 8-way D-pad, and smooth thumbstick movement.
- GAME AND CHAT MIX – Conveniently located game and chat mix controls.
- WIRED TO WIN – Equipped with a detachable 10ft./3m braided cable with USB-C connector.
VelocityOne Flight Simulation Control System
The VelocityOne Flight Simulation Control System is an absolute beast. When it was shown during the preview, I was absolutely floored. However, as I am no pilot I don’t think I could do the VelocityOne justice with my laymen’s explanation. Here is the official description of the VelocityOne:
Developed by world-class aeronautical engineers and pilots, the Turtle Beach® VelocityOne™ Flight is a complete flight control system that delivers the most immersive, authentic, and modern flying experience on the market. Offering intuitive and realistic controls, VelocityOne™ Flight equips users across all experience levels with an inclusive flight system to experience the thrill of flight. A true to life 180° yoke handle with built-in rudder controls at your fingertips provides precise, long-lasting control of any aircraft. The included modular throttle quadrant, with integrated trim wheel and custom lever handles, offers at-home aviators enhanced customization and a realistic flight experience for both light and heavy aircraft. The VelocityOne™ flight management display and authentic status indicator panel offers real-time alerts and critical flight details to fly the skies in confidence*. A simple USB connection offers Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One or Windows 10 PC users an easy setup process.
When asked how the VelocityOne came to be, Marshall told me a story about how Turtle Beach CEO Jeurgen Stark is an avid pilot. Knowing this, Microsoft invited him to come out to their studios to preview Microsoft Flight Simulator before it released to the public. He came back blown away by the experience and inspired the team to create a Flight Simulation Control System for Microsoft Flight Simulator when it releases on Xbox consoles. So, they went out and brought in some of the geniuses behind Logitech’s Flight Control System and the rest is history.
Fast forward to today, Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to release on Xbox consoles on July 27, 2021. With the the VelocityOne Flight Simulation Control System also scheduled to release this summer, players will have an innovative, comprehensive way to take to the skies.
The VelocityOne will release this summer at $349.95.
See the full list of features below:
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN – VelocityOne™ Flight includes everything you need to get off the ground. The included throttle quadrant with dedicated trim wheel and realistic yoke with integrated rudder controls equips every home-pilot with a full suite of controls right out of the box.
- REALISTIC YOKE HANDLE – True to life 180° yoke handle rotation tuned for smooth and precise adjustments of any aircraft. Built to last with a non-contact hall effect sensor in the yoke shaft, you’ll have smooth control over long-term usage.
- MODULAR THROTTLE QUADRANT – Dual lever and vernier controls along with 10 programmable buttons and an integrated pitch trim wheel provide a realistic experience for both light aircraft and heavy jets. Customize your throttle controls with included swappable throttle tops to match your preferred flight experience.
- FLIGHT MANAGEMENT DISPLAY – The full color display with dedicated controls helps you learn and configure the system on-the-fly for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Easily switch between profiles for different aircraft and use the training feature to familiarize yourself with each control so you spend less time on the tarmac, and more time in the air.
- INTEGRATED RUDDER CONTROLS – Taxi, land and turn with ease using integrated rudder controls and toe brake buttons at your fingertips. Execute coordinated turns in the sky with ease and stay straight during takeoff and landing with dedicated rudder controls and make precise taxi maneuvers with integrated brakes.
- COMPREHENSIVE CONTROLS – Flight is equipped with 12 analog axes, two POV switches and two 4-way HAT switches. The axes provide precise control of essential control surfaces and engine systems, and the POV switches ensure you can intuitively change view and focus on critical cockpit information. With an additional 18 assignable buttons, you have everything you need to navigate any aircraft in confidence and remap controls to your preference.
- AUTHENTIC STATUS INDICATOR PANEL – Receive real-time status alerts and monitor essential cockpit, navigation and engine systems and warnings. Customize the color of the ambient light, and swap between different panels to fine-tune the cockpit to your liking.
- PITCH TRIM WHEEL – The dedicated trim wheel enables fine adjustment of aircraft control surfaces and removes the need to maintain pressure on the yoke, for hands-free-flying.
- CUSTOM LEVER HANDLES – Customize your throttle & lever controls to match your selected aircraft. Use the black, red, and blue tops for prop planes, or swap to all white tops for jet aircraft.
- SECURE CLAMPING SYSTEM – The tight low profile secure mounting system ensures stable integration into your home setup.
- 3.5MM HEADSET PORT – Connect your 3.5mm headset for immersive audio and coordinate your flight.