Movies GP G.S. Perno
An Emotional Journey Worth Every Moment
Overall rating 

Entertainment Value 

Story/Writing 

Performance (Acting) 

Direction 

Production 

I was surprised at how much I loved this movie. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the first Hunger Games film and thought it's among the better book adaptations out there, but it felt like it was missing the emotional impact I was wanting; something that could make it stand out and become a classic. Catching Fire, does this in spades.

This is a surprisingly emotional film, hitting on several hard themes that really got me thinking. The love triangle aspect is handled far better than most films, and it becomes a genuine part of the story rather than something thrown in for the tween crowd. It generated more emotion from me than I thought, and I found myself genuinely engaged in the romantic elements; even rooting for one side to win out over the other.

I loved that most of the action didn't come until the latter part of the film. This could have easily been an action-centric sequel, but instead the filmmakers chose to go for an engaging story and more deeply developed characters. For the first time in a long time, I feel invested in these characters beyond a simple, what's happening next. I mean, I've read the books, I KNOW what happens next, but the film managed to suck me into these characters despite that.

The dystopian future feels better developed and there's a greater sense of just how WRONG their system is. While the first film hit on this idea a little, it mostly TOLD you about how wrong it is, and did little to show the audience it. Catching Fire shows you how wrong the world has become makes you feel as angry as the characters themselves. This provides an excellent setup for the next film which will be all about rebellion.

While I loved The Hunger Games and thought it was a fun ride, Catching Fire has made the franchise a must-see and something that could be truly special. This is not a film to miss, and is far from the norm in terms of movies based off of teen books.
JM
#1 Reviewer 346 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments