Not only did The Force Awakens knock Mockingjay Part 2 off the top slot, but two other movies did as well. It was just the former that completely obliterated all from having any chance, whatsoever. Here’s the break down:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens $238,000,000
Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip $14,400,000
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 $5,650,000
With an opening weekend like that, The Force Awakens gathered a few records under its belt:
· Biggest Thursday preview gross with $57M.
· Biggest Friday and biggest single-day gross with $120.5M.
· First film ever to post a single day over $100M.
· Fastest film to $100M and $200M.
· Biggest December debut (nearly 3 times previous record of $84.6M).
· Biggest IMAX Thursday night preview ($5.7M), single-day ($14M, Friday), and weekend ($30.1M).
· Highest theater average for a wide release ($57,568).
It has surpassed the opening weekend record holder (Jurassic World) by about $30 million. I think it’s safe to say, the Force is strong with this one and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. However, stay tuned next week for more box office stats!